Samsung Projection Tv Troubleshooting

Some question concerning Samsung Projection Tv Troubleshooting 
My Sansung DLP HLN5065W is nearly 8 years old. The original lamp and color wheel went bad under my extended warranty plan @ ~3 years. Has been running great the past 5 years, but recently went
bad. According to wife, there was a loud pop then the TV went black.
Just assumed it was the lamp, as I figured it was about time, so got a new one. During power-up, it makes normal sounds then a loud 2-3 sec noise and goes through this process ~3 times before powering down with all 3 lights flashing on the front. The guy who sold me the lamp suggested it was the ballast/blaster, but not sure he really knew anything. Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted by jilhefbo on Jul 16, 2011
+ Add a Comment
Suggest a Solution
By jilhefbo Jul 16, 2011
OK, just so we're clear. I pulled the lamp and powered-up TV again. I saw the fan spin-up normally and it appears the high-pitched sound is closer to 5 sec, than the 2-3 I indicated before. I cannot tell where the sound is coming from, but it does appear to be in the general vicinity as the ballast where the lamp is directed/connected. It went through the 3 attempts before shutting down, but did notice something - there appears to be a tiny shard (or shards) of glass at the bottom of the window where the lamp is directed. There are some components in there, but did not see anything broken. I was afraid to get too close, per your previous voltage warning. Does this give you anymore insight?
By jilhefbo Jul 16, 2011
You're right! There is hardly a wheel left - looks as if over 40% of it is gone. I took off the back of the TV and now I can see the window better. I can barely see the two ends of the remaining wheel and there is definitely some color in the shards laying against the window from the inside. I went to YouTube and noticed there are a bunch of videos on replacing a color wheel. One noted they were using an instruction manual. Any idea where I can find one online? Also, any recommendations where to buy a new color wheel? I really didn't think it was the wheel, as the old one started whirring and old technician who came out couldn't even hear it. However, after he replaced it, the whirring went away. There was no whirring this time, just a loud pop!
By jilhefbo Jul 17, 2011
Thanks for all the info - new color wheel has been ordered and old one removed - still have shards of glass to clean-up, but plenty of time to do that while I wait on delivery of new one. Will let you know if everything works in 3-5 days!
By jilhefbo Jul 19, 2011
SD Tech,

If I have not already responded, wanted to let you know the shards I saw were the color wheel. There was little of it still intact.

I used my shopvac to clean-up and new wheel should be here this week. I wanted to note that it appears part of the black felt beneath where the color wheel sits may have been torn by the shattering wheel. There is a deeper pocket under a strip of the felt that was difficult to get the shards out of and the appearance led me to believe that I should not have been able to see that pocket - I'm guessing it should have been covered by the felt? Is it bad if that is torn?

Also, I began wondering why the color wheel would shatter? Any ideas? It was a little over 5 years old, but was wondering if there could have been another reason that led to the shatter that should be addressed before putting back in service.
Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Label

Recent Post

Total Pageviews